Collaboration Quartet (Movement II)

Composer Florian Behnsen from Germany has composed the second movement "Nott" for this Collaboration Quartet. He was also kind enough to write a brief synopsis regarding his inspiration and creative direction for his movements composition.


"When I heard the initial theme of the first movement I was drawn into a world of mysticism, that had me thinking of my love for Shostakovich's music, eastern european folklore and the endless russian landscapes. My intention was to combine the austere beauty of this single lined melody and contrast it's modern sound with my love for parallel instrumental movement".

"From the theme first stated by solo viola with cello accents I modulated the theme through a set of ancient sounding harmonies and dissonances to more harmonic conclusions using a second theme from the first movement. Gradually this theme is contrasted again by parallel movement using perfect fifths. My intention was to create a connection between old and new. Folklore and mysticism on one side and modernism on the other".






                                                           (Click once on images for full-size)
         
             Audio File: https://soundcloud.com/brent-mchenry/collaboration-quartet-movement


Please continue to contact me at bmc4film@aol.com if there are more interested composers and
an update regarding the third movement will posted shortly. I am awaiting confirmation that the third movement's composer will be from the beautiful country of Greece.

If you would like to review the first movement that I composed... here is the link:
http://musiccomptech.blogspot.com/2013/08/collaboration-quartet-movement-i.html

I am asking that each successive composer interested in contributing to the rest of this project be limited from 2 to 2 and 1/2 minutes in order create their own individual movement. This will allow adequate time in order to link from the previous composers movement in a logical melodic, harmonic and rhythmic manner as well as introducing, developing and resolving their own theme for the next composer to then pick up from. I believe that allotting each composer several weeks to write and submit there own movement should be fair and sufficient.

I would also like to make all aware that the audio and score posts of these movements are not finalized and that they will be thoroughly notated in regards to dynamics, articulations, etc... once the
quartet is completed and ready for actual live performance. Thank you!

Thank you for your interest and for following these blog posts. The post views have now exceeded 20,000 and I am very grateful to all the focused composers and musicians around the globe today for checking them out.

Popular Posts