Theoretical Sketching - Part 4 (Melodic & Harmonic Development)



My previous posts regarding Theoretical Sketching have now finally led towards the creation of an actual piece of music as shown here. I will more than likely add some minor embellishments, additions, etc… to this sketch. If I do, these additions will also certainly be created in theory as well and shown in my next post.

Disclaimer: Since the objective of this process is to create as many musical ideas on one page as possible… the page can potentially become very convoluted and possibly appear confusing to some. Therefore, in my next blog I will outline and describe my process for laying out all these ideas into a coherent musical piece containing form and structure.

The other day I decided to head down and check out Stanley Kubrick's exhibit on it's final day here in Los Angeles for some composing inspiration. The musical ideas shown and described in this post were created in a little over an hour at the museum while sitting and viewing his wonderful exhibit. 

This sketch from now on will be named "RedRum"… for if I come back to this sketch years from now, this title will more than likely help trigger my memory as to the circumstances surrounding it's original creation. I always date and at the very least give a mock title to each sketch that I create for these future reference purposes. 
I would strongly recommend doing the same for as your amount of sketches increase over the years you will literally have stacks of these lying around. It is therefore nice to have a reference as to when it was created in addition to what may have helped inspire it's creation.




                                                                      (Click once on images for full-size)


I now consider this sketch as it appears to be approximately 90% complete. There are three main sectional ideas now labeled A, B & C that were based on the criteria that I stated I would follow from my previous blog. 
Theoretical Sketching - Part 3 (Musical palette).

Please see how many topic subjects from my previous blogs are utilized within this sketch and I look forward to heading down the home stretch with you in my next post. 
Theoretical Sketching - Part 5 (Form & Structure). 

*I do apologize that the sketch had to be scanned in 2 pages since my scanner obviously does not accommodate larger than letter size images.

Thank you for your continued interest in this topic and I hope you are finding this process as enjoyable as I always do.


Popular Posts