Collaboration Quartet ?


Greetings to all my fellow composers and orchestrators out there in note land. 

I have an idea for a collaborative project that I would like to propose to any and all 
who may be interested in possibly adding their own personal contribution.

My proposal is to create a multi-movement or sectional String Quartet in which a
group of individual composers will each create and contribute their own section
towards the building of a cumulative piece of music.

Each composer would certainly have the freedom and respect in order to create as 
they see fit and there would only be a small list of criteria guidelines established 
by me, that would mainly be in consideration of overall form, tempo, modulations, 
formats, score layout, etc… towards the building of the entire piece

My goal for this project is to have a minimum of six and no more than a dozen composers 
contribute to this initial string quartet piece. I am mentioning initial because, if it turns out 
that there are more than a dozen composers interested in this type of project. I might vary 
well propose additional projects based on other possible musical forms and styles, etc… 
Who knows, maybe it this collaboration is fruitful for all, this idea could grow and evolve 
in to something bigger for all of us.

At this time I am merely inquiring to see how many of my fellow composers might be 
interested in participating in this type of project endeavor… and since the majority 
of us composers and orchestrators lead relatively isolated lives I thought this 
might be an interesting avenue to pursue, 

If you are interested in contributing to this project please send me an e-mail to 
(bmc4film@aol.com) with a brief bio and any basic conceptual ideas, approaches, 
styles, etc… that you might like to implement.

I will add a follow-up post regarding the specific criteria and further details depending 
on how much interest is generated from this initial post inquiry.

Throughout my nearly 4 decades of interest and experience in music, without doubt the most 
satisfying and fond memories I have were when I was involved in group collaborations with 
musicians from all over the world… especially my brief stint with "Cirque Du Soleil" where 
every member of that group was from a different country and each possessed such wonderful 
musicianship. 

Thank you for your potential interest in this project and I look forward to hopefully working and
collaborating with many of you in the very near future.

Respectfully,

Brent Heflin McHenry

Popular Posts