Subliminal Listening & Analysis

The majority of us composers and musicians generally feel that there are never enough hours
in our days for practice, analysis, composition and basic life. So for several decades now I have
found it extremely beneficial to take advantage of my down time, even if only on a subliminal level.

During my music school days at Berklee and N.E.C. I was always transcribing complex solos
by the likes of Michael Brecker, Allan Holdsworth, Pat Martino and other gifted soloists in
addition to studying the classical masters compositions and orchestrations.

I found that by playing the musical area of interest in my headphones on a continuous loop
as I slept that I was able to transcribe, analyze and dictate the music in a much clearer frame
of mind at a later date.

It is also beneficial to conceive, visualize and create various concepts during the moments
prior to going to sleep and even waking from a musical dream to write down whatever has 
occurred, even if it is only an abstract thought to be flushed out later in a more conscious
manner.

I always have a binder of notation and notebook paper handy as well as a small digital recorder
so that the very next day or even in the middle of the night I can transfer whatever I am
hearing or thinking of as it occurs.

Even if only on a purely basic entertainment level I sure would rather go to sleep listening
to Brahms than hearing chaotic Los Angeles outside my domicile.




Popular Posts