Multi-Triadic Distribution


I first noticed this orchestration technique in a cue called "The Raptor's Appear" from
John Williams "The Lost World" score.

I was initially intrigued with the brass voicings and their amazing inter-action and power.

Upon analyzing the cue I noticed that what first appeared to be large brass clusters were 
actually diatonic triads being dispersed equally between the various brass instrument groups.

The cue was written in D Major which is a fabulous key for the orchestra and the brass
were separated as such: 6 Horns playing B Minor, 4 Trumpets playing F# Minor and the
4 Trombones (2 Tenor & 2 Bass) playing E Minor.

It is my opinion that this equal distribution allows the triads to sound more pronounced
and balanced because of their unique timbral differences.

After breaking the cue down I then applied this approach to my own writing and found 
that it yielded fantastic results. I applied it to all the various orchestral families and it will 
now be a part of my writing vocabulary from this day forward.

Please reference this link to hear this amazing cue by maestro John Williams. The brass
enter at around 0:54 of the recording at this technique is dispersed throughout. Enjoy!


                                                                          (Click once on image for full-size)


Popular Posts